Caltech Home > GPS Home > Academics > Graduate Program > Advising > Information for new graduate students
open search form

Information for new graduate students

This year twenty-one new graduate students are entering the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences.

When You Arrive on Campus

Upon arrival, see Julie Lee. She will supply you with the necessary information concerning arrangements for your work and the use of the division and Institute facilities and for your office assignment and keys. Students arriving for summer research should see Jen Shechet if Julie Lee is not available.

Academic Adviser

Each graduate student will have a faculty member who will serve as the official academic adviser. Your academic adviser will be the primary person to whom you will turn for guidance, discussion, and general help throughout the year. The adviser will be of particular assistance in counseling prior to registration each term, and his/her approval of your course of study is required. Before registration, you should review the academic requirements in the catalog for your option and select a preliminary course program for the first year. Some advisers recommend you make a preliminary plan through two years, to the stage of candidacy.

We urge you to consult with your adviser regularly. The adviser system is flexible, and you are encouraged to seek advice from any other member of the faculty. You will also be consulting with your option academic representative.

Option academic representatives:

Summer Research

If you arrive in time for summer research, you will join a research group for the duration of the summer session. See your option representative for details. You should register for summer research when you arrive. See your academic adviser regarding registration.

Registration for Classes

Registration for the fall term for new students will be during graduate orientation activities, September 18 - 24, 2016.  Academic advising sessions will be held by the different options. Details about these sessions will be posted at a later date. Students who are here for summer research may register for the fall term after September 1.

The necessary forms are available in the Registrar's Office in room 125 of the Center for Student Services (building 86 on the campus map, on Holliston Avenue).

New Student Field Trip

Each year we organize a short field trip for the new graduate students to introduce them to each other and to our geological environment. More details about the trip will be posted at a later date on this web site.